common cold(redirected from Coryzal illness)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
(Pathology) a mild viral infection of the upper respiratory tract, characterized by sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, nasal congestion, sore throat, etc
adj. -er, -est,
n., adv. adj.
1. having a relatively low temperature.
2. feeling an uncomfortable lack of warmth; chilled.
3. having a temperature lower than the normal temperature of the human body: cold hands.
4. lacking in passion, enthusiasm, etc.: cold reason.
5. not affectionate or friendly: a cold reply.
6. lacking sensual desire; frigid.
7. depressing; dispiriting.
8. unconscious because of a severe blow, shock, etc.
9. lifeless or extinct; dead.
10. (in games) distant from the object of search or the correct answer.
11. Slang. (in sports and games) not scoring or winning.
b. being a cool color.
13. Metalworking. at a temperature below that at which recrystallization can occur: cold working.n.
14. the absence of heat or warmth.
15. the sensation produced by loss of heat from the body, as by contact with anything having a lower temperature than that of the body: the cold of a steel door.
16. cold weather.
17. Also called common cold. a respiratory disorder characterized by sneezing, sore throat, coughing, etc., caused by any of various viruses of the rhinovirus group.adv.
18. with complete competence; thoroughly: He knew his speech cold.
19. without preparation or prior notice.
20. abruptly; unceremoniously.
21. Metalworking. at a temperature below that at which recrystallization can occur (sometimes used in combination): to cold-hammer an iron bar; The wire was drawn cold.Idioms:
1. catch or take cold, to become afflicted with a cold.
2. (out) in the cold, neglected; ignored; forgotten.
3. throw cold water on, to dampen someone's enthusiasm about.
[before 950; Middle English; Old English cald, ceald, c. Old Frisian, Old Saxon cald, Old High German chalt, Old Norse kaldr, Gothic kalds; akin to gelid]
An infection caused by a virus, in which the membranes lining the mouth, nose, and throat become inflamed. Its symptoms are fever, sneezing, and coughing.
A viral infection that causes inflammation of the respiratory tract lining. It is often accompanied by a runny nose, sore throat, sneezing, and headaches.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||common cold - a mild viral infection involving the nose and respiratory passages (but not the lungs); "will they never find a cure for the common cold?"|
communicable disease - a disease that can be communicated from one person to another
respiratory disease, respiratory disorder, respiratory illness - a disease affecting the respiratory system
head cold - a common cold affecting the nasal passages and resulting in congestion and sneezing and headache
rhinorrhea - persistent watery mucus discharge from the nose (as in the common cold)