Coptic(redirected from Cotpa)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
The Afro-Asiatic language of the Copts, which survives only as a liturgical language of the Coptic Church.
Of or relating to the Copts, the Coptic Church, or the Coptic language.
(Languages) an Afro-Asiatic language, written in the Greek alphabet but descended from ancient Egyptian. It was extinct as a spoken language by about 1600 ad but survives in the Coptic Church
1. (Languages) of or relating to this language
2. (Christian Churches, other) of or relating to the Copts
3. (Historical Terms) of or relating to the Copts
4. (Peoples) of or relating to the Copts
1. an Afroasiatic language descended from ancient Egyptian, extinct as an everyday form of speech but surviving in the liturgy and literature of the Coptic Church.adj.
2. of or pertaining to Coptic or the Copts.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Coptic - the liturgical language of the Coptic Church used in Egypt and Ethiopia; written in the Greek alphabet|
Egyptian - the ancient and now extinct language of Egypt under the Pharaohs; written records date back to 3000 BC
|Adj.||1.||Coptic - of or relating to the Copts or their church or language or art; "the distinctive Coptic art of 6th-century Christian Egypt"|