counselor(redirected from Counselor (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial.
an advisor; a lawyer; an official of an embassy who ranks below an ambassador or minister [The above words are not interchangeable. A council is an assembly of persons who make deliberations and offer advice. A member of such a group is a councilor. Counsel means advice given to another. A person who gives the advice is a counselor.]
Not to be confused with:
councilor – a member of a council
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
coun·sel·oralso coun·sel·lor (koun′sə-lər, -slər)
1. A person who gives counsel; an adviser.
2. An attorney, especially a trial lawyer.
3. A person who supervises children at a summer camp.
4. A person, especially a licensed professional, who treats people with mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders and problems. See Usage Note at council.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
coun•se•lor(ˈkaʊn sə lər)
1. a person who counsels; adviser.
2. a faculty member, as at a high school, who advises students on personal and academic problems.
3. one of a number of supervisors at a children's camp.
4. a lawyer, esp. a trial lawyer.
5. an official of an embassy or legation who ranks below an ambassador or minister.Also, esp. Brit., coun′sel•lor.
[1175–1225; Middle English counseiler < Anglo-French cunseiler, Old French conseilleor. See counsel, -er2, -or2]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An attorney, especially one who is conducting a case in court.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||counselor - someone who gives advice about problems|
adviser, advisor, consultant - an expert who gives advice; "an adviser helped students select their courses"; "the United States sent military advisors to Guatemala"
Dutch uncle - a counselor who admonishes frankly and sternly
|2.||counselor - someone who has supervisory duties at a summer camp|
supervisor - one who supervises or has charge and direction of
|3.||counselor - a lawyer who pleads cases in court |
law, jurisprudence - the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. One who advises another, especially officially or professionally:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.