cross-stitch(redirected from Counted cross-stitch)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A double stitch forming an X in sewing and embroidery.
2. Needlework made with X-shaped stitches.
v. cross-stitched, cross-stitch·ing, cross-stitch·es
To make or embroider with X-shaped stitches.
To work in the fashion of X-shaped stitches.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Knitting & Sewing) an embroidery stitch made by two stitches forming a cross
2. (Knitting & Sewing) embroidery worked with this stitch
(Knitting & Sewing) to embroider (a piece of needlework) with cross-stitch
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a stitch in which pairs of diagonal stitches of the same length cross each other in the middle to form an X.
2. embroidery or needlepoint done with this stitch.v.t., v.i.
3. to work in cross-stitch.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: cross-stitched
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cross-stitch - two stitches forming a cross or X |
half cross stitch - a single cross stitch at a diagonal
|2.||cross-stitch - embroidery done with pairs of stitches that cross each other|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.