coupe(redirected from Coupes)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
a closed two-door car; a frozen dessert: She chose the coupe rather than the sedan.
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. A closed four-wheel carriage with a single bench seat inside and one outside for a driver.
2. also coupe (ko͞op) A closed two-door automobile.
[French, from past participle of couper, to cut, from coup, blow; see coup.]
a. A dessert of ice cream or fruit-flavored ice, garnished and served in a special dessert glass.
b. The stemmed glass in which a coupe is served.
2. A shallow, bowl-shaped dessert dish.
[French, cup, from Late Latin cuppa; see cup.]
Variant of coupé..
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Cookery) a dessert of fruit and ice cream, usually served in a glass goblet
2. (Cookery) a dish or stemmed glass bowl designed for this dessert
[C19: from French: goblet, cup]
1. (Automotive Engineering) Also called: fixed-head coupé a four-seater car with a fixed roof, a sloping back, and usually two doors. Compare drophead coupé
2. a four-wheeled horse-drawn carriage with two seats inside and one outside for the driver
3. (Railways) an end compartment in a European railway carriage with seats on one side only
[C19: from French, short for carosse coupé, literally: cut-off carriage, from couper to cut, from coup blow, stroke]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Also, coupé. a closed two-door car shorter than a sedan of the same model.
[1880–85; see coupé]
1. ice cream or sherbet topped with fruit, syrup, whipped cream, etc.
2. a glass container for serving such a dessert, usu. having a stem and a wide, deep bowl.
[1890–95; < French; Old French: goblet < Late Latin cuppa, Latin cūpa cask, tub; compare cup]
cou•pé(kuˈpeɪ or, for 1,5, kup)
1. a short, four-wheeled, closed carriage, usu. with a single seat for two passengers and an outside seat for the driver.
2. the end compartment in a European diligence or railroad car.coupe (for defs. 1,2).
[1825–35; < French, short for carrosse coupé cut (i.e., shortened) coach, past participle of couper to cut off, v. derivative of coup coup; compare cope1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A step with the weight on the right foot, with the left drawn up in front in fifth, cutting away the right foot which is raised, or similar executed as a jump. Coupe dessou is with the foot behind.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coupe - a car with two doors and front seats and a luggage compartment|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
سيّارة مكشوفَة لراكبين
iki kapılı araba
coupé[ˈkuːpeɪ] N (Aut) → cupé m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
coupé[ˈkuːpeɪ] coupe [ˈkuːp] n (= car) → coupé m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
coupé[ˈkuːpeɪ] n (Aut) → coupé m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
coupé(ˈkuːpei) , ((American) ku:ˈpei) noun
a two-door car with a fixed roof. koepee سيّارة مكشوفَة لراكبين двуместен автомобил cupé kupé geschlossenes, zweisitziges Auto coupé διθέσιο αμάξι, κουπέ cupé kupee, kaheistmeline kinnine sõiduk اتومبیل دو در kupee coupé מְכוֹנִית בַּעֲלָת שְׁתֵי דְלָתוֹת दो द्वार वाली कार kabriolet kupé mobil tertutup berpintu dua tveggjadyra bíll coupé クーペ型自動車 쿠페형 자동차 dviduris automobilis divvietīga slēgta automašīna coupé coupétodørsbil, kupé samochód dwudrzwiowy دوه دروازه یی موټر descapotável (automobil) coupé двухдверный автомобиль kupé športni avto kupe kupé รถยนต์สองประตู iki kapılı araba 雙門小轎車 двомісний автомобіль xe ô tô hai chỗ ngồi 有顶双门小轿车
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.