cowpea(redirected from Cow bean)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Cow bean: horse bean
1. An annual African plant (Vigna unguiculata) in the pea family, widely cultivated in warm regions for food, forage, and soil improvement.
2. An edible seed of this plant. In both senses also called black-eyed pea.
1. (Plants) a leguminous tropical climbing plant, Vigna sinensis, producing long pods containing edible pealike seeds: grown for animal fodder and sometimes as human food
2. (Plants) Also called: black-eyed pea the seed of this plant
1. a forage plant, Vignaunguiculata, of the legume family, extensively cultivated in the southern U.S.
2. the seed of this plant, used for food.Also called black-eyed pea.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cowpea - fruit or seed of the cowpea plant|
legume - the fruit or seed of any of various bean or pea plants consisting of a case that splits along both sides when ripe and having the seeds attach to one side of the case
|2.||cowpea - sprawling Old World annual cultivated especially in southern United States for food and forage and green manure|
genus Vigna, Vigna - genus of vines or erect herbs having trifoliate leaves and yellowish or purplish flowers; of warm or tropical regions; most species often placed in genus Phaseolus
|3.||cowpea - eaten fresh as shell beans or dried|
legume - the seedpod of a leguminous plant (such as peas or beans or lentils)