coxcomb(redirected from Coxcombs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A conceited dandy; a fop.
2. Obsolete A jester's cap; a cockscomb.
[Middle English cokkes comb, crest of a cock : cokkes, genitive of cok, cock; see cock1 + comb, crest; see comb.]
cox·comb′i·cal (-kōm′ĭ-kəl) adj.
1. (Zoology) a variant spelling of cockscomb
2. archaic a foppish man
3. (Historical Terms) obsolete the cap, resembling a cock's comb, worn by a jester
1. a conceited, foolish dandy; pretentious fop.
2. Archaic. head; pate.
[1565–75; sp. variant of cockscomb]
cox•comb′i•cal (-ˈkɒm ɪ kəl, -ˈkoʊ mɪ-) cox•comb′ic, adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coxcomb - a conceited dandy who is overly impressed by his own accomplishments|
|2.||coxcomb - a cap worn by court jesters; adorned with a strip of red|
cap - a tight-fitting headdress
|3.||coxcomb - the fleshy red crest on the head of the domestic fowl and other gallinaceous birds|
crest - a showy growth of e.g. feathers or skin on the head of a bird or other animal