fritillary(redirected from Cranberry Fritillary)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. frit·il·lar·ies
1. Any of various bulbous plants of the genus Fritillaria of the lily family, having nodding, variously colored, often spotted or checkered flowers.
2. Any of various nymphalid butterflies with wings that are orange or brown with black markings on the upper side and often with silver spots on the underside.
[New Latin Fritillāria, genus name, from Latin fritillus, dice-box, container for shaking dice (erroneously taken as meaning "checkerboard") : frit-, perhaps imitative of the sound of dice being shaken + -illus, n. suff.]
n, pl -laries
1. (Plants) Also called: fritillaria any N temperate liliaceous plant of the genus Fritillaria, having purple or white drooping bell-shaped flowers, typically marked in a chequered pattern. See also snake's head
2. (Animals) any of various nymphalid butterflies of the genera Argynnis, Boloria, etc, having brownish wings chequered with black and silver
[C17: from New Latin fritillāria, from Latin fritillus dice box; probably with reference to the spotted markings]
frit•il•lar•y(ˈfrɪt lˌɛr i)
n., pl. -lar•ies.
1. any of several orange-brown nymphalid butterflies having silvery spots on the undersides of the wings and often black borders and dots above.
2. any of various bulbous plants of the genus Fritillaria, of the lily family, having bell-shaped flowers.
[1625–35; < New Latin Fritillaria < Latin fritill(us) dice box]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fritillary - any liliaceous plant of the genus Fritillaria having nodding variously colored flowers|
Fritillaria affinis, Fritillaria lanceolata, Fritillaria mutica, rice-grain fritillary, mission bells - herb of northwestern America having green-and-purple bell-shaped flowers
black fritillary, Fritillaria biflora, mission bells - herb of southwestern United States having dark purple bell-shaped flowers mottled with green
Fritillaria agrestis, stink bell - a malodorous California herb with bell-shaped flowers; a common weed in grainfields
crown imperial, Fritillaria imperialis - Eurasian herb with a cluster of leaves and orange-red bell-shaped flowers at the top of the stem
Fritillaria liliaceae, white fritillary - California herb with white conic or bell-shaped flowers usually tinged with green
checkered daffodil, Fritillaria meleagris, guinea-hen flower, leper lily, snake's head fritillary - Eurasian checkered lily with pendant flowers usually veined and checkered with purple or maroon on a pale ground and shaped like the bells carried by lepers in medieval times; widely grown as an ornamental
brown bells, Fritillaria micrantha, Fritillaria parviflora - California herb with brownish-purple or greenish bell-shaped flowers
Fritillaria recurva, scarlet fritillary - western United States herb with scarlet and yellow narrow bell-shaped flowers
bulbous plant - plant growing from a bulb
|2.||fritillary - butterfly with brownish wings marked with black and silver|
brush-footed butterfly, four-footed butterfly, nymphalid, nymphalid butterfly - medium to large butterflies found worldwide typically having brightly colored wings and much-reduced nonfunctional forelegs carried folded on the breast
silverspot - butterfly with silver spots on the underside of the hind wings