cross section(redirected from Cross section (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
cross sectionalso cross-sec·tion (krôs′sĕk′shən, krŏs′-)
a. A section formed by a plane cutting through an object, usually at right angles to an axis.
b. A piece so cut or a graphic representation of such a piece.
2. Physics A quantity, measured in units of barns, used to express the probability of an encounter between particles over a given area in a collision. Also called collision cross section.
3. Statistics A sample meant to be representative of a whole population.
4. Informal A variety; a diversity.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mathematics) maths a plane surface formed by cutting across a solid, esp perpendicular to its longest axis
2. (Mathematics) a section cut off in this way
3. the act of cutting anything in this way
4. a random selection or sample, esp one regarded as representative: a cross section of the public.
5. (Surveying) surveying a vertical section of a line of ground at right angles to a survey line
6. (General Physics) physics a measure of the probability that a collision process will result in a particular reaction. It is expressed by the effective area that one participant presents as a target for the other
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a section made by a plane cutting something transversely, esp. at right angles to the longest axis.
2. a representative sample showing all characteristic parts, relationships, etc., of the whole.
3. a vertical section of the ground surface taken at right angles to a survey line.
4. Physics. a measure of the probability, expressed as the effective area of a given particle, that one particle will interact with another.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cross section - a section created by a plane cutting a solid perpendicular to its longest axis|
profile - a vertical section of the Earth's crust showing the different horizons or layers
|2.||cross section - a sample meant to be representative of a whole population|
sample - a small part of something intended as representative of the whole
statistics - a branch of applied mathematics concerned with the collection and interpretation of quantitative data and the use of probability theory to estimate population parameters
|3.||cross section - (physics) the probability that a particular interaction (as capture or ionization) will take place between particles; measured in barns|
probability, chance - a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; a number expressing the ratio of favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible; "the probability that an unbiased coin will fall with the head up is 0.5"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.