dominion(redirected from Crown Dominion)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty: "The devil ... has their souls in his possession, and under his dominion" (Jonathan Edwards).
2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.
3. often Dominion A self-governing nation under the nominal rule of the British monarch.
4. dominions Christianity See domination.
1. rule; authority
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the land governed by one ruler or government
3. sphere of influence; area of control
4. (Historical Terms) a name formerly applied to self-governing divisions of the British Empire
5. (Placename) theDominion New Zealand
6. (Law) law a less common word for dominium
[C15: from Old French, from Latin dominium ownership, from dominus master]
1. the power to govern; sovereign authority.
2. the act or fact of ruling; domination.
3. the territory subject to the control of a single ruler or government.
4. (often cap.) any of the self-governing countries outside the United Kingdom belonging to the Commonwealth of Nations.
[1400–50; late Middle English < Middle French < Medieval Latin dominiō, s. -iōn-, alter. of Latin dominium rule, ownership]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dominion - dominance or power through legal authority; "France held undisputed dominion over vast areas of Africa"; "the rule of Caesar"|
ascendance, ascendancy, ascendence, ascendency, dominance, control - the state that exists when one person or group has power over another; "her apparent dominance of her husband was really her attempt to make him pay attention to her"
paramountcy - the state of being paramount; the highest rank or authority
raj - British dominion over India (1757-1947)
suzerainty - the position or authority of a suzerain; "under the suzerainty of..."
|2.||dominion - a region marked off for administrative or other purposes|
administrative district, administrative division, territorial division - a district defined for administrative purposes
border district, borderland, marchland, march - district consisting of the area on either side of a border or boundary of a country or an area; "the Welsh marches between England and Wales"
city district - a district of a town or city
congressional district - a territorial division of a state; entitled to elect one member to the United States House of Representatives
development - a district that has been developed to serve some purpose; "such land is practical for small park developments"
enclave - an enclosed territory that is culturally distinct from the foreign territory that surrounds it
palatinate - a territory under the jurisdiction of a count palatine
residential area, residential district, community - a district where people live; occupied primarily by private residences
goldfield - a district where gold is mined
jurisdiction - in law; the territory within which power can be exercised
mandate, mandatory - a territory surrendered by Turkey or Germany after World War I and put under the tutelage of some other European power until they are able to stand by themselves
associated state, protectorate - a state or territory partly controlled by (but not a possession of) a stronger state but autonomous in internal affairs; protectorates are established by treaty
region - a large indefinite location on the surface of the Earth; "penguins inhabit the polar regions"
possession - a territory that is controlled by a ruling state
trust territory, trusteeship - a dependent country; administered by another country under the supervision of the United Nations
British East Africa - the former British territories of eastern Africa, including Kenya, Tanganyika, Uganda, and Zanzibar
British West Africa - the former British territories of western Africa, including Nigeria, Cameroon, Gambia, Togo, Sierra Leone, and the Gold Coast
|3.||Dominion - one of the self-governing nations in the British Commonwealth|
body politic, country, nation, res publica, commonwealth, state, land - a politically organized body of people under a single government; "the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation's capitol"; "the country's largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
1. control, government, power, rule, authority, command, sovereignty, sway, domination, jurisdiction, supremacy, mastery, ascendancy, mana (N.Z.) They believe they have dominion over us.
1. The right and power to command, decide, rule, or judge:
authority, command, control, domination, jurisdiction, mastery, might, power, prerogative, sovereignty, sway.
2. The fact of possessing or the legal right to possess something:
1. rule or power. There was no-one left to challenge his dominion. heerskap سَيْطَرَه، سُلْطَه власт autoridade nadvláda, převaha die Herrschaft herredømme; magt εξουσίαdominio ülemvõim حکومت؛ فرمانروایی valta dominationשלטון प्रभुत्व, नियतंत्रण vlast uralom kekuasaan yfirráð dominio 統治 지배권, 통치권 valdžia valdīšana; vara kuasa pemerintahan heerschappijherredømme, maktpanowanie ډومنيون، دحاكميت حق قلمرو: واك لرونكى مستعمره autoridade autoritate владычество; власть nadvláda gospostvo nadmoć herravälde, överhöghet, makt การปกครอง hâkimiyet, egemenlik 統治 влада حکومت quyền cai trị 统治
2. a self-governing country of the British Commonwealth. the Dominion of Canada. dominium دومينيون: بِلاد ذات حُكْمٍ ذاتي وتخْضَع للتاج البريطاني доминион território dominium die Dominion dominion αυτοδιοίκητη κτήση της Βρετανικής Κοινοπολιτείας dominio dominioon کشور خودمختار و عضو کشورهای مشترک المنافع بریتانیا autonominen maa dominion תְחוּם שִׁלטוֹן, דוֹמִיניוֹן स्वतंत्र उपनिवेश dominion domínium dominion heiti á landi í Breska heimsveldinu með heimastjórn dominion, (paese autonomo membro del Commonwealth britannico) 自治領 자치령 dominija domīnija wilayah pemerintahan Dominion statssamfunn, maktområde dominium د برټانيى مشترك المنافع غړى هيواد território dominion доминион domínium dominion dominion dominion อำนาจ dominyon 自治區 домініон عملداری lãnh thổ tự trị trong khối Liên Hiệp Anh 自治领