cowl(redirected from Cuculla)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. The hood or hooded robe worn especially by a monk.
b. A cowl neck.
2. A hood-shaped covering used to increase the draft of a chimney.
3. The top portion of the front part of an automobile body, supporting the windshield and dashboard.
4. The cowling on an aircraft.
tr.v. cowled, cowl·ing, cowls
To cover with or as if with a cowl.
[Middle English coule, from Old English cugele, from Late Latin cuculla, from Latin cucullus, hood.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a hood, esp a loose one
2. (Clothing & Fashion) the hooded habit of a monk
3. (Building) a cover fitted to a chimney to increase ventilation and prevent draughts
4. (Automotive Engineering) the part of a car body that supports the windscreen and the bonnet
5. (Mechanical Engineering) aeronautics another word for cowling
6. to cover or provide with a cowl
7. (Ecclesiastical Terms) to make a monk of
[Old English cugele, from Late Latin cuculla cowl, from Latin cucullus covering, cap, hood]
1. a hooded garment worn by monks.
2. the hood itself.
3. a draped, hoodlike garment.
4. the forward part of the body of a motor vehicle supporting the rear of the hood and the windshield and housing the pedals and instrument panel.
5. a cowling.
6. a hoodlike covering for increasing the draft of a chimney or ventilator.v.t.
7. to cover with or as if with a cowl.
[before 1000; Middle English cou(e)le, Old English cugele, cūle < Late Latin cuculla monk's hood, variant of Latin cucullus hood]
Past participle: cowled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cowl - protective covering consisting of a metal part that covers the engine; "there are powerful engines under the hoods of new cars"; "the mechanic removed the cowling in order to repair the plane's engine"|
aeroplane, airplane, plane - an aircraft that has a fixed wing and is powered by propellers or jets; "the flight was delayed due to trouble with the airplane"
auto, automobile, car, motorcar, machine - a motor vehicle with four wheels; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine; "he needs a car to get to work"
hood ornament - an ornament on the front of the hood of a car emblematic of the manufacturer
|2.||cowl - a loose hood or hooded robe (as worn by a monk)|
hood - a headdress that protects the head and face
|Verb||1.||cowl - cover with or as with a cowl; "cowl the boys and veil the girls"|
cover - provide with a covering or cause to be covered; "cover her face with a handkerchief"; "cover the child with a blanket"; "cover the grave with flowers"
غِطاء رأس الرّاهِب
cowl[kaʊl] n (hood) → cappuccio
(a cap or hood like) a monk's hood. monnikskap غِطاء رأس الرّاهِب качулка capuz kapuce die Mönchskutte hætte καλύπτρα, κουκούλα μοναχού capucha kapuuts کلاه چسبیده به خرقه huppu capuchon בַּרדָס सिर ढकने का कपड़ा kapuljača csuklya tudung (munka)hetta cappuccio づきん (수도복의) 두건 gobtuvas kapuce penutup kepala kapmunkekutte, –hette kaptur د عیسوی مال د غاړی یا د اوږو دستمال capuz glugă капюшон kapucňa kapuca monaška kukuljica munkkåpa, huva ผ้าคลุมศีรษะของพระ başlıklı cübbe 修道士的頭巾或兜帽 сутана з капюшоном; каптур كلاه دار چغہ، راهبوں كا ٹوپی والا چغہ mũ trùm đầu 僧衣的头巾