demos(redirected from DEMOS (disambiguation))
Also found in: Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. The common people; the populace.
2. The common people of an ancient Greek state.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the people of a nation regarded as a political unit
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) rare the common people; masses
[C19: from Greek: the populace; see deme]
1. the common people of an ancient Greek state.
2. the common people; populace.
[1770–80; < Greek dêmos district, people; compare demo-]
A Greek word denoting common people who held citizenship and therefore had rights.