demos(redirected from DEMOS (operating system))
Also found in: Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. The common people; the populace.
2. The common people of an ancient Greek state.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the people of a nation regarded as a political unit
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) rare the common people; masses
[C19: from Greek: the populace; see deme]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the common people of an ancient Greek state.
2. the common people; populace.
[1770–80; < Greek dêmos district, people; compare demo-]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A Greek word denoting common people who held citizenship and therefore had rights.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited