jujube(redirected from Dae choo)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A thorny deciduous small tree or shrub (Ziziphus jujuba) native to Asia, widely cultivated for its edible fruit.
b. The small sweet greenish to red fruit of this tree. Also called Chinese date.
2. Any of various other trees or shrubs of the genus Ziziphus bearing edible fruit.
3. (also jo͞o′jo͝o-bē′) A fruit-flavored candy or lozenge.
[Middle English, jujube fruit, from Old French, from Medieval Latin jujuba, from Latin zizyphum, from Greek zizuphon.]
nAlso called (for senses 1, 2): Chinese date
1. (Plants) any of several Old World spiny rhamnaceous trees of the genus Ziziphus, esp Z. jujuba, that have small yellowish flowers and dark red edible fruits. See also Christ's-thorn
2. (Plants) the fruit of any of these trees
3. (Cookery) a chewy sweet made of flavoured gelatine and sometimes medicated to soothe sore throats
[C14: from Medieval Latin jujuba, modification of Latin zīzyphum, from Greek zizuphon]
ju•jube(ˈdʒu dʒub; for 1 also ˈdʒu dʒuˌbi)
1. a small, chewy fruit-flavored candy or lozenge.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Medieval Latin jujuba, Romance alter. of < Latin zīziphum < Greek zízyphon jujube tree]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jujube - spiny tree having dark red edible fruits|
|2.||jujube - dark red plumlike fruit of Old World buckthorn trees|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh
drupe, stone fruit - fleshy indehiscent fruit with a single seed: e.g. almond; peach; plum; cherry; elderberry; olive; jujube
|3.||jujube - chewy fruit-flavored jellied candy (sometimes medicated to soothe a sore throat)|
gumdrop - a jellied candy coated with sugar crystals