Dalmatian(redirected from Dalmatian (dog))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A native or inhabitant of Dalmatia.
b. A person of Dalmatian ancestry.
2. also dalmatian A dog of a breed that was introduced into England from Dalmatia in the eighteenth century, having a short, smooth white coat covered with black or dark brown spots. Also called carriage dog, coach dog.
Of or relating to Dalmatia or its inhabitants or culture.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Breeds) Also called (esp formerly): carriage dog or coach dog a large breed of dog having a short smooth white coat with black or (in liver-spotted dalmatians) brown spots
2. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Dalmatia
(Peoples) of or relating to Dalmatia or its inhabitants
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a native or inhabitant of Dalmatia.
2. one of a breed of medium-sized shorthaired dogs having a white coat marked with black or brown spots.
3. a Romance language of Dalmatia, extinct since the 19th century.adj.
4. of or pertaining to Dalmatia or its inhabitants.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Dalmatian - a native or inhabitant of Dalmatia|
Dalmatia - a historical region of Croatia on the Adriatic Sea; mountainous with many islands
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
|2.||dalmatian - a large breed having a smooth white coat with black or brown spots; originated in Dalmatia|
Canis familiaris, dog, domestic dog - a member of the genus Canis (probably descended from the common wolf) that has been domesticated by man since prehistoric times; occurs in many breeds; "the dog barked all night"
liver-spotted dalmatian - a brown-spotted dalmatian
|Adj.||1.||Dalmatian - of or relating to Dalmatia or its inhabitants|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. N (= person) → dálmata mf
B. ADJ → dálmata
dalmatian[dælˈmeɪʃən] N (= dog) → perro m dálmata
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Dalmatiandalmatian [dælˈmeɪʃən] n (= dog) → dalmatien(ne) m/f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
dalmatian[dælˈmeɪʃ/ən] n (dog) → dalmata m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995