darter(redirected from Darters)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Darters: Carters
1. One that moves suddenly and rapidly.
2. See anhinga.
3. Any of various small North American freshwater fishes of the family Percidae, chiefly of the genera Ammocrypta, Etheostoma, and Percina, and sometimes brightly colored.
1. (Animals) Also called: anhinga or snakebird any aquatic bird of the genus Anhinga and family Anhingidae, of tropical and subtropical inland waters, having a long slender neck and bill: order Pelecaniformes (pelicans, cormorants, etc)
2. (Animals) any small brightly coloured North American freshwater fish of the genus Etheostoma and related genera: family Percidae (perches)
1. a person or thing that darts.
2. any of several small, darting, colorful North American perches.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||darter - fish-eating bird of warm inland waters having a long flexible neck and slender sharp-pointed bill|
pelecaniform seabird - large fish-eating seabird with four-toed webbed feet
genus Anhinga - type genus of the Anhingidae
|2.||darter - a person or other animal that moves abruptly and rapidly; "squirrels are darters"|