Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of northern Australia on Port Darwin, an inlet of the Timor Sea. Founded as Palmerston in 1869 and renamed in 1911, it is the capital of the Northern Territory.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Placename) a port in N Australia, capital of the Northern Territory: destroyed by a cyclone in 1974 but rebuilt on the same site. Pop: 129 062 (2011). Former name (1869–1911): Palmerston
1. (Biography) Charles (Robert). 1809–82, English naturalist who formulated the theory of evolution by natural selection, expounded in On the Origin of Species (1859) and applied to man in The Descent of Man (1871)
2. (Biography) his grandfather, Erasmus. 1731–1802, English physician and poet; author of Zoonomia, or the Laws of Organic Life (1794–96), anticipating Lamarck's views on evolution
3. (Biography) Sir George Howard, son of Charles Darwin. 1845–1912, English astronomer and mathematician noted for his work on tidal friction
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Charles (Robert), 1809–82, English naturalist.
2. his grandfather, Erasmus, 1731–1802, English naturalist and poet.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Darwin - English natural scientist who formulated a theory of evolution by natural selection (1809-1882)|
|2.||Darwin - provincial capital of the Northern Territory of Australia|
Northern Territory - a territory in north central Australia
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.