Davis(redirected from Davis, Miles (Dewey))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
A city of north-central California west of Sacramento. A branch of the University of California (established 1905) is here.
1. (Biography) Sir Andrew (Frank). born 1944, British conductor; chief conductor of the BBC Symphony Orchestra (1989–2000) and of the Chicago Lyric Opera from 2000
2. (Biography) Bette (ˈbɛtɪ), real name Ruth Elizabeth Davis. 1908–89, US film actress, whose films include Of Human Bondage (1934), Jezebel (1938) for which she won an Oscar, All About Eve (1950), Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962), The Nanny (1965), and The Whales of August (1987)
3. (Biography) Sir Colin (Rex). 1927–2013, English conductor, noted for his interpretation of the music of Berlioz
4. (Biography) Jefferson. 1808–89, president of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War (1861–65)
5. (Biography) Joe. 1901–78, English billiards and snooker player: world champion from 1927 to 1946
6. (Biography) John. Also called: John Davys. ?1550–1605, English navigator: discovered the Falkland Islands (1592); searched for a Northwest Passage
7. (Biography) Miles (Dewey). 1926–91, US jazz trumpeter and composer
8. (Biography) Steve. born 1957, English snooker player: world champion 1981, 1983–84, 1987–89
1. Bet•te (ˈbɛt i) (Ruth Elizabeth Davis), 1908-89, U.S. film actress.
2. Jefferson, 1808–89, president of the Confederate States of America 1861–65.
3. Miles (Dewey, Jr.), 1926–91, U.S. jazz trumpeter.
4. Sammy, Jr., 1925–90, U.S. singer and entertainer.
5. Stuart, 1894–1964, U.S. painter and illustrator.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Davis - English navigator who explored the Arctic while searching for the Northwest Passage (1550-1605)|
|2.||Davis - United States painter who developed an American version of cubism (1894-1964)|
|3.||Davis - United States jazz musician; noted for his trumpet style (1926-1991)|
|4.||Davis - American statesman; president of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War (1808-1889)|
|5.||Davis - United States tennis player who donated the Davis Cup for international team tennis competition (1879-1945)|
|6.||Davis - United States film actress (1908-1989)|