Clinton(redirected from DeWitt Clinton Professor of History)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Clin·ton(klĭn′tən), DeWitt 1769-1828.
American politician who as governor of New York (1817-1823 and 1825-1828) was a principal supporter of the Erie Canal (completed 1825).
Clinton, George 1739-1812.
Vice president of the United States (1805-1812) under Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. As governor of New York (1777-1795) he was suspicious of centralized government and opposed New York's ratification of the US Constitution.
Clinton, Sir Henry 1738-1795.
British general in the American Revolution who was commander in chief of British forces in North America (1778-1782).
Clinton, Hillary Rodham Born 1947.
American politician who served as senator from New York (2001-2009) and as US secretary of state (2009-2013). As the wife of President Bill Clinton, she was first lady of the United States (1993-2001). In 2016 she was the Democratic nominee for president, the first woman to be nominated for president by a major party in the United States.
photographed in 1994
Clinton, William Jefferson Known as "Bill." Born 1946.
The 42nd president of the United States (1993-2001). His presidency was marked by economic expansion and the first balanced federal budget in thirty years. In 1999 he was impeached by the House of Representatives on perjury and obstruction of justice charges but was acquitted by the Senate on both counts.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Bill, full name William Jefferson Clinton. born 1946, US Democrat politician; 42nd president of the US (1993–2001)
2. (Biography) his wife, Hillary Rodham. born 1947, US Democrat politician and lawyer: first lady (1993–2001); senator (2001–09); secretary of state (2009–13)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. De Witt, 1769–1828, U.S. statesman.
2. George, 1739–1812, vice president of the U.S. 1805–12.
3. Sir Henry, 1738?–95, commander of the British forces in the American Revolutionary War.
4. Hillary Rodham, born 1947, U.S. attorney, social reformer, and politician: senator since 2001 (wife of William J. Clinton).
5. William Jefferson (Bill), born 1946, 42nd president of the U.S. 1993–2001.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Clinton - wife of President Clinton and later a woman member of the United States Senate (1947-)|
|2.||Clinton - 42nd President of the United States (1946-)|
|3.||Clinton - United States politician who as governor of New York supported the project to build the Erie Canal (1769-1828)|
|4.||Clinton - a town in east central Iowa|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.