delinquent(redirected from Delinquents)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Failing to do what law or duty requires.
2. Overdue in payment: a delinquent account.
1. A juvenile delinquent.
2. A person who neglects or fails to do what law or duty requires.
[Latin dēlinquēns, dēlinquent-, present participle of dēlinquere, to offend : dē-, de- + linquere, to leave, abandon; see leikw- in Indo-European roots.]
1. (Sociology) someone, esp a young person, guilty of delinquency. See juvenile delinquent
2. (Law) archaic a person who fails in an obligation or duty
3. (Law) guilty of an offence or misdeed, esp one of a minor nature
4. (Law) failing in or neglectful of duty or obligation
[C17: from Latin dēlinquēns offending; see delinquency]
1. failing in or neglectful of a duty or obligation; guilty of a misdeed or offense.
2. past due: a deliquent account.
3. of or pertaining to delinquents or delinquency.n.
4. a person who is delinquent, esp. a juvenile delinquent.
[1475–85; < Latin dēlinquent-; see delinquency]
delinquent- Literally "completely having left" one's duty or obligation.
See also related terms for obligation.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||delinquent - a young offender|
|Adj.||1.||delinquent - guilty of a misdeed; "delinquent minors"|
guilty - responsible for or chargeable with a reprehensible act; "guilty of murder"; "the guilty person"; "secret guilty deeds"
|2.||delinquent - failing in what duty requires; "derelict (or delinquent) in his duty"; "neglectful of his duties"; "remiss of you not to pay your bills"|
negligent - characterized by neglect and undue lack of concern; "negligent parents"; "negligent of detail"; "negligent in his correspondence"
|3.||delinquent - past due; not paid at the scheduled time; "an overdue installment"; "a delinquent account"|
due - owed and payable immediately or on demand; "payment is due"