denote(redirected from Denotation (semiotics))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
be a sign of; convey; stand as a name for; indicate: A fever may denote an infection.
Not to be confused with:
connote – imply in addition to the literal meaning; intimate: Home cooking connotes comfort food.
tr.v. de·not·ed, de·not·ing, de·notes
1. To mark; indicate: a frown that denoted increasing impatience.
2. To serve as a symbol or name for the meaning of; signify: A flashing yellow light denotes caution.
3. To signify directly; refer to specifically: The word "river" denotes a moving body of water and connotes such things as the relentlessness of time and the changing nature of life.
[French dénoter, from Latin dēnotāre : dē-, de- + notāre, to mark; see connote.]
vb (tr; may take a clause as object)
1. to be a sign, symbol, or symptom of; indicate or designate
2. (Linguistics) (of words, phrases, expressions, etc) to have as a literal or obvious meaning
[C16: from Latin dēnotāre to mark, from notāre to mark, note]
v.t. -not•ed, -not•ing.
1. to be a mark or sign of; indicate: A fever often denotes an infection.
2. to be a name or designation for; mean.
3. to represent by a symbol; stand as a symbol for.
Past participle: denoted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||denote - be a sign or indication of; "Her smile denoted that she agreed"|
|2.||denote - have as a meaning; "`multi-' denotes `many' "|
signify, stand for, mean, intend - denote or connote; "`maison' means `house' in French"; "An example sentence would show what this word means"
denote - be a sign or indication of; "Her smile denoted that she agreed"
twist around, convolute, pervert, sophisticate, twist - practice sophistry; change the meaning of or be vague about in order to mislead or deceive; "Don't twist my words"
hark back, recall, come back, return - go back to something earlier; "This harks back to a previous remark of his"
identify, name - give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
apply - refer (a word or name) to a person or thing; "He applied this racial slur to me!"
slur - speak disparagingly of; e.g., make a racial slur; "your comments are slurring your co-workers"
|3.||denote - make known; make an announcement; "She denoted her feelings clearly"|
inform - impart knowledge of some fact, state or affairs, or event to; "I informed him of his rights"
denounce - announce the termination of, as of treaties
meld - announce for a score; of cards in a card game
report - announce one's presence; "I report to work every day at 9 o'clock"
report - announce as the result of an investigation or experience or finding; "Dozens of incidents of wife beatings are reported daily in this city"; "The team reported significant advances in their research"
blazon out, cry - proclaim or announce in public; "before we had newspapers, a town crier would cry the news"; "He cried his merchandise in the market square"
call out - call out loudly, as of names or numbers
advertise, publicise, publicize, advertize - call attention to; "Please don't advertise the fact that he has AIDS"
post - publicize with, or as if with, a poster; "I'll post the news on the bulletin board"
sound - announce by means of a sound; "sound the alarm"
1. indicate, show, mean, mark, express, import, imply, designate, signify, typify, betoken Red eyes denote strain and fatigue.
2. represent, mean, stand for, express, equal, substitute for, correspond to, symbolize, equate with, betoken In the table, 'DT' denotes quantity demanded.
sÿna/gefa til kynna
denote[dɪˈnəʊt] vt (= indicate) → indiquer
to be the sign of or to mean. Do you think his silence denotes guilt? aandui, aanwys يَدُلُّ عَلى означавам indicar ukazovat na, znamenat bedeuten være tegn på; tyde på δείχνω, μαρτυρώindicar tähendama نشانگر بودن؛ حاکی بودن merkitä dénoter לְצָיֵין बतलाना označiti, značiti jelez (vmit) berarti sÿna/gefa til kynna denotare 示す 표시이다 reikšti norādīt; nozīmēt; apzīmēt bererti betekenenbetegne, tyde på, antydeoznaczać دلالت كول (پر): معنى وركول: څرګندول، اشاره كول، ښوول ددسيسې څرګندول، اشاره كول، ښوول indicar a indica означать znamenať pomeniti značiti tyda på, ange, beteckna แสดงถึง göstermek 意味著 означати; значити کسی چیز کی تعبیر ہونا biểu thị 意味着