determinant(redirected from Determanent)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. An influencing or determining element or factor: "Education is the second most important determinant of recreational participation" (John P. Robinson).
2. Mathematics The value computed from a square matrix of numbers by a rule of combining products of the matrix entries and that characterizes the solvablitity of simultaneous linear equations. Its absolute value can be interpreted as an area or volume.
3. Immunology An epitope.
serving to determine or affect
1. a factor, circumstance, etc, that influences or determines
2. (Mathematics) maths a square array of elements that represents the sum of certain products of these elements, used to solve simultaneous equations, in vector studies, etc. Compare matrix9
de•ter•mi•nant(dɪˈtɜr mə nənt)
1. a determining factor.
2. an algebraic expression of the sum of products of matrix elements used in the solution of systems of linear equations.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||determinant - a determining or causal element or factor; "education is an important determinant of one's outlook on life"|
cognitive factor - something immaterial (as a circumstance or influence) that contributes to producing a result
influence - a cognitive factor that tends to have an effect on what you do; "her wishes had a great influence on his thinking"
|2.||determinant - the site on the surface of an antigen molecule to which an antibody attaches itself|
immunology - the branch of medical science that studies the body's immune system
site, situation - physical position in relation to the surroundings; "the sites are determined by highly specific sequences of nucleotides"
antigen - any substance (as a toxin or enzyme) that stimulates an immune response in the body (especially the production of antibodies)
|3.||determinant - a square matrix used to solve simultaneous equations|
square matrix - a matrix with the same number of rows and columns
|Adj.||1.||determinant - having the power or quality of deciding; "the crucial experiment"; "cast the deciding vote"; "the determinative (or determinant) battle"|
decisive - determining or having the power to determine an outcome; "cast the decisive vote"; "two factors had a decisive influence"
determinant[dɪˈtɜːrmɪnənt] n (= factor) → déterminant m
determinant[dɪˈtɜːmɪnənt] adj & n → determinante (m)
n. determinante, elemento que predomina o causa una determinación.