1. To form, plan, or arrange in the mind; design or contrive: devised a new system for handling mail orders.
2. Law To transmit or give (real property) by will.
3. Archaic To suppose; imagine.
n. Law 1.
a. The act of transmitting or giving real property by will.
b. The property or lands so transmitted or given.
2. A will or clause in a will transmitting or giving real property.
[Middle English devisen, from Old French deviser, from Vulgar Latin *dēvīsāre, from Latin *dīvīsāre, frequentative of dīvidere, to divide; see divide.]
1. to work out, contrive, or plan (something) in one's mind
2. (Law) (tr) law to dispose of (property, esp real property) by will
3. (tr) obsolete to imagine or guess
a. a disposition of property by will
the property so transmitted. Compare bequeath1
(Law) a will or clause in a will disposing of real property. Compare bequest2
[C15: from Old French deviser to divide, apportion, intend, from Latin dīvidere to divide]
v. -vised, -vis•ing,
1. to contrive, plan, or elaborate; invent from existing principles or ideas: to devise a method.
2. to transmit (property) by will.
3. Archaic. to imagine; suppose. v.i.
4. to form a plan; contrive. n.
a. the disposition of real property by will.
b. a will or clause in a will disposing of property.
c. the property so disposed of.
[1150–1200; < Old French deviser
« Latin dīvidere
; see device
1. the bequeathing of real property by will.See also: Property and Ownership
2. the clause in a will devising real property.
Device (/dɪvaɪs/) is a noun. A device is an object that has been made or built for a particular purpose, such as recording or measuring something.
...a device that could measure minute quantities of matter.
...an electronic device.
Devise (/dɪvaɪz/) is a verb. If you devise a plan, system, or machine, you have the idea for it and you work it out or design it.
The challenge was to devise a proposal that kept costs to a minimum.
Year by year we devise more precise instruments with which to observe the planets.
Past participle: devised
|Noun||1.||devise - a will disposing of real property|testament
- a legal document declaring a person's wishes regarding the disposal of their property when they die
|2.||devise - (law) a gift of real property by will|law
- the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
- that which is inherited; a title or property or estate that passes by law to the heir on the death of the owner
- something acquired without compensation
|Verb||1.||devise - come up with (an idea, plan, explanation, theory, or principle) after a mental effort; "excogitate a way to measure the speed of light"|
|2.||devise - arrange by systematic planning and united effort; "machinate a plot"; "organize a strike"; "devise a plan to take over the director's office"|initiate
- take the lead or initiative in; participate in the development of; "This South African surgeon pioneered heart transplants"
- prepare and supply with the necessary equipment for execution or performance; "mount a theater production"; "mount an attack"; "mount a play"
- prepare or position for action or operation; "lay a fire"; "lay the foundation for a new health care plan"
- begin, or enable someone else to begin, a venture by providing the means, logistics, etc.; "set up an election"
- prepare for eating if or as if a spatchcock; "spatchcock a guinea hen"
- prepare for battle or conflict
|3.||devise - give by will, especially real property|bequeath
- leave or give by will after one's death; "My aunt bequeathed me all her jewelry"; "My grandfather left me his entire estate"
verb work out, plan, form, design, imagine, frame, arrange, plot, construct, invent, conceive, formulate, contrive, dream up, concoct, think up We devised a scheme to help him.
To use ingenuity in making, developing, or achieving:
To form a strategy for:
, work out
Idiom: lay plans.
To give (property) to another person after one's death:
devise (diˈvaiz) verb
to invent; to put together. A shelter / new scheme was hurriedly devised. uitdink, versin يَبْتَكِر، يَبْتَدِع измислям inventar vymyslet ausdenken udtænke επινοώ, σκαρώνωconcebir, inventar, tramar, maquinar välja mõtlema ساختن؛ ابداع کردن keksiä inventer, combiner לְהַמצִיא योजना बनाना izumiti, izmisliti (meg)szerkeszt menciptakan hugsa upp escogitare 考案する 고안하다 sugalvoti, sukurpti izdomāt; izgudrot mereka bedenkentenke ut; sette sammenobmyślać, budować تدبيركول، اختراع كول، تجويز كول: (حق) په ميراث پريښودل، په وصيت وركول (ميراث inventar a inventa, a născoci придумывать vymyslieť izmisliti si izumeti hitta på, tänka ut, uppfinna คิดขึ้นใหม่ tasarlamak, icat etmek 發明 вигадувати; винаходити ایجاد کرنا đặt kế hoạch 发明
vt. idear, inventar, considerar.