dick(redirected from Dick (surname))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
[Shortening and alteration of detective.]
dick 2(dĭk) Slang
1. Vulgar A penis.
2. Vulgar A person, especially a man, regarded as mean or contemptible.
3. Chiefly British A fellow; a guy.
tr.v. dicked, dick·ing, dicks VulgarPhrasal Verbs:
1. To have sexual intercourse with. Used of a man.
2. To treat (someone) meanly or unfairly; exploit or cheat. Often used with over.
dick around Vulgar
1. To spend time idly; fool around.
2. To be sexually promiscuous. Used of men.
3. To exploit or cheat (someone).
dick up Vulgar
To botch or bungle.
[From Dick, nickname for Richard.]
chiefly US a slang word for detective
[C20: by shortening and alteration from detective; probably influenced by proper name Dick]
1. Brit a fellow or person
2. clever dick Brit a person who is obnoxiously opinionated or self-satisfied; know-all
3. a slang word for penis
[C16 (meaning: fellow): from the name Dick, familiar form of Richard, applied generally (like Jack) to any fellow, lad, etc; hence, C19: penis]
Usage: The third sense of this word was formerly considered to be taboo and it was labelled as such in older editions of Collins English Dictionary. However, it has now become acceptable in speech, although some older or more conservative people may object to its use
1. Vulgar Slang. penis.v.t.
2. Vulgar Slang. to have sexual intercourse with.
3. Slang. to victimize; cheat.
[1905–10; < Romani dik to look at, see < Hindi]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dick - someone who is a detective |
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
|2.||dick - obscene terms for penis|
noun (Taboo slang) penis, cock (taboo slang), prick (taboo slang), member, tool (taboo slang), organ, wang (U.S. slang), knob (Brit. taboo slang), chopper (Brit. slang), plonker (slang), dong (slang), winkle (Brit. slang), joystick (slang), phallus, pecker (U.S. & Canad. taboo slang), John Thomas (taboo slang), weenie (U.S. slang), whang (U.S. slang), tadger (Brit. slang), schlong (U.S. slang), pizzle (archaic & dialect), willie or willy (Brit. informal) She remarked that most men think with their dicks, not their heads.