dilator(redirected from Dilator Muscle)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Dilator Muscle: ciliary muscle
di·la·tor(dī-lā′tər, dī′lā′-, dĭ-lā′-)
1. A muscle that dilates a body part, such as a blood vessel or the pupil of the eye.
2. An instrument that dilates a body part, such as a cavity, canal, or orifice.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
dilator(daɪˈleɪtə; dɪ-) or
1. (Surgery) something that dilates an object, esp a surgical instrument for dilating a bodily cavity
2. (Physiology) a muscle that expands an orifice or dilates an organ
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or di•lat•er(daɪˈleɪ tər, dɪ-, ˈdaɪ leɪ-)
1. any muscle that dilates a part of the body.
2. a surgical instrument for performing a dilatation.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dilator - a muscle or nerve that dilates or widens a body part|
body part - any part of an organism such as an organ or extremity
|2.||dilator - a drug that causes dilation|
drug - a substance that is used as a medicine or narcotic
|3.||dilator - a surgical instrument that is used to dilate or distend an opening or an organ|
surgical instrument - a medical instrument used in surgery
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. músculo que dilata un órgano al contraerse;
2. instrumento quirúrgico para expandir o dilatar un orificio o paredes;
Hegar's ___ → ___ de Hegar, instrumento usado para dilatar el canal uterino.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
dilatorn dilatador m
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.