dimorphism(redirected from Dimorphism (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Biology The existence among animals of the same species of two distinct forms that differ in one or more characteristics, such as coloration, size, or shape.
2. Botany The occurrence of two distinct forms of the same parts in one plant, as in the juvenile and adult leaves of ivy.
3. Chemistry & Physics Dimorphic crystallization.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) the occurrence within a plant of two distinct forms of any part, such as the leaves of some aquatic plants
2. (Zoology) the occurrence in an animal or plant species of two distinct types of individual
3. (Chemistry) a property of certain substances that enables them to exist in two distinct crystalline forms
diˈmorphic, diˈmorphous adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
di•mor•phism(daɪˈmɔr fɪz əm)
1. the occurrence of two forms distinct in structure, coloration, etc., among animals of the same species.
2. the occurrence of two different forms of flowers, leaves, etc., on the same plant or on different plants of the same species.
3. the property of some substances of crystallizing in two chemically identical but crystallographically distinct forms.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dimorphism - (chemistry) the property of certain substances that enables them to exist in two distinct crystalline forms|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
|2.||dimorphism - (biology) the existence of two forms of individual within the same animal species (independent of sex differences)|
polymorphism - (biology) the existence of two or more forms of individuals within the same animal species (independent of sex differences)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. dimorfismo, caracterización de dos formas diferentes;
sexual ___ → ___ sexual, hermafrodismo.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012