bema(redirected from Diploun Bema)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. be·ma·ta (-mə-tə)
1. Judaism The platform from which services are conducted in a synagogue. Also called almemar.
2. Eastern Orthodox Church The area of a church in which the altar is located; the sanctuary.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) the speaker's platform in the assembly in ancient Athens
2. (Eastern Church (Greek & Russian Orthodox)) Eastern Orthodox Church a raised area surrounding the altar in a church; the sanctuary
3. (Judaism) Judaism another word for almemar
[C17: via Late Latin, from Greek bēma, from bainein to go]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -ma•ta (-mə tə) -mas.
1. the enclosed space around the altar in an Eastern church.
2. Also, bimah. a platform in a synagogue for the table used when reading from the Torah.
[1675–85; < Greek bêma step, platform =bē-, variant s. of baínein to step, go + -ma n. suffix of result; (definition 3) (< Yiddish bime) < Hebrew bīmāh < Greek]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bema - area around the altar of a church for the clergy and choir; often enclosed by a lattice or railing|
area - a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function; "the spacious cooking area provided plenty of room for servants"
choir - the area occupied by singers; the part of the chancel between sanctuary and nave
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.