diversification(redirected from Diversified Portfolio)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Diversified Portfolio: Well Diversified Portfolio
v. di·ver·si·fied, di·ver·si·fy·ing, di·ver·si·fies
a. To give variety to; vary: diversify a menu.
b. To extend (business activities) into disparate fields.
2. To distribute (investments) among different companies or securities in order to limit losses in the event of a fall in a particular market or industry.
To spread out activities or investments, especially in business.
[Middle English diversifien, from Old French diversifier, from Medieval Latin dīversificāre : Latin dīversus; see diverse + Latin -ficāre, -fy.]
di·ver′si·fi·ca′tion (-fĭ-kā′shən) n.
1. (Commerce) commerce the practice of varying products, operations, etc, in order to spread risk, expand, exploit spare capacity, etc
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in regional planning policies) the attempt to provide regions with an adequate variety of industries
3. the act of diversifying
di•ver•si•fi•ca•tion(dɪˌvɜr sə fɪˈkeɪ ʃən, daɪ-)
1. the act or process of diversifying; state of being diversified.
2. the practice of manufacturing a variety of products, investing in several kinds of securities, etc., esp. as protection in an economic slump.
[1595–1605; < Medieval Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||diversification - the act of introducing variety (especially in investments or in the variety of goods and services offered); "my broker recommended a greater diversification of my investments"; "he limited his losses by diversification of his product line"|
change - the action of changing something; "the change of government had no impact on the economy"; "his change on abortion cost him the election"
|2.||diversification - the condition of being varied; "that restaurant's menu lacks diversification; every day it is the same"|