Manila(redirected from Divisoria)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
The capital of the Philippines, on southwest Luzon Island and Manila Bay, an inlet of the South China Sea. Founded in 1571, the city was controlled by Spain until it was seized by US troops in 1898 during the Spanish-American War. It was held by the Japanese from 1942 to 1945 during World War II.
ma·nil·aor ma·nil·la (mə-nĭl′ə)
1. often Manila or Manilla A cigar or cheroot made in Manila.
2. See abaca.
3. Manila paper.
4. A light yellow brown.
1. (Placename) the chief port of the Philippines, on S Luzon on Manila Bay: capital of the republic until 1948 and from 1976; seat of the Far Eastern University and the University of Santo Tomas (1611). Pop: 10 677 000 (2005 est)
2. a type of cigar made in this city
1. the capital of the Philippines, on W central Luzon. 1,655,000.
2. Manila hemp.
3. (sometimes l.c.) Manila paper.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||manila - a strong paper or thin cardboard with a smooth light brown finish made from e.g. Manila hemp|
paper - a material made of cellulose pulp derived mainly from wood or rags or certain grasses
|2.||Manila - the capital and largest city of the Philippines; located on southern Luzon|