Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Douglas: Pouch of Douglas
A borough of southeast Isle of Man, England, on the Irish Sea. It is a popular seaside resort and the most important city on the island.
(Placename) a town and resort on the Isle of Man, capital of the island, on the E coast. Pop: 25 347 (2001)
1. (Biography) C(lifford) H(ugh). 1879–1952, British economist, who originated the theory of social credit
2. (Biography) Gavin. ?1474–1522, Scottish poet, the first British translator of the Aeneid
3. (Biography) Keith (Castellain). 1920–44, British poet, noted for his poems of World War II: killed in action
4. (Biography) Michael K(irk). born 1944, US film actor; his films include Romancing the Stone (1984), Wall Street (1987), Basic Instinct (1992), and Wonder Boys (2000)
5. (Biography) (George) Norman. 1868–1952, British writer, esp of books on southern Italy such as South Wind (1917)
6. (Biography) Tommy, full name Thomas Clement Douglas (1904–86). Canadian statesman: premier of Saskatchewan 1944–61
1. Kirk (Issur Danielovitch Demsky), born 1916, U.S. actor.
2. Stephen A(rnold), 1813–61, U.S. political leader.
3. William O(rville), 1898–1980, Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 1939–75.
4. the capital of the Isle of Man.