Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A large family of languages spoken especially in southern India and northern Sri Lanka that includes Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada.
2. A member of any of the peoples that speak one of the Dravidian languages, especially a member of one of the pre-Indo-European peoples of southern India.
[From Sanskrit drāviḍaḥ, a Dravidian.]
Dra·vid′i·an, Dra·vid′ic (-vĭd′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) a family of languages spoken in S and central India and Sri Lanka, including Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada, and Gondi
2. (Peoples) a member of one of the aboriginal races of India, pushed south by the Indo-Europeans and now mixed with them
3. (Peoples) denoting, belonging to, or relating to this family of languages or these peoples
4. (Languages) denoting, belonging to, or relating to this family of languages or these peoples
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Dra•vid•i•an(drəˈvɪd i ən)
1. a language family of South Asia, spoken mainly in S India, and including Telugu and Tamil.
2. a speaker of a language belonging to this family.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Dravidian or its speakers.
[1856; < Skt Draviḍ(a) ethnonym]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Dravidian - a member of one of the aboriginal races of India (pushed south by Caucasians and now mixed with them)|
Indian - a native or inhabitant of India
Badaga - a member of an agricultural people of southern India
Gadaba - a member of an agricultural people in southeastern India
Gond - a member of a formerly tribal people in south central India
Canarese, Kanarese - a member of a Kannada-speaking group of people living chiefly in Kanara in southern India
Kolam - a member of a formerly tribal people now living in south central India
Kui - a member of the Dravidian people living in southeastern India
Malto - a member of the Dravidian people living in northern Bengal in eastern India
Savara - a member of the Dravidian people living in southern India
Tamil - a member of the mixed Dravidian and Caucasian people of southern India and Sri Lanka
Telugu - a member of the people in southeastern India (Andhra Pradesh) who speak the Telugu language
Toda - a member of a pastoral people living in the Nilgiri Hills of southern India
Tulu - a member of a Dravidian people living on the southwestern coast of India
|2.||Dravidian - a large family of languages spoken in south and central India and Sri Lanka|
natural language, tongue - a human written or spoken language used by a community; opposed to e.g. a computer language
South Dravidian - a Dravidian language spoken primarily in southern India
South-Central Dravidian - a Dravidian language spoken primarily in south central India
Central Dravidian - a Dravidian language spoken primarily in central India
North Dravidian - a Dravidian language spoken primarily in eastern India
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.