drill bit(redirected from Drillbit)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
n., v. bit•ted, bit•ting. n.
1. the mouthpiece of a bridle, having fittings at each end to which the reins are fastened.
2. anything that curbs or restrains.
3. a removable drilling or boring tool for use in a brace, drill press, or the like.
4. the cutting part of an ax or hatchet.
5. the wide portion at the end of an ordinary key that moves the bolt.v.t.
6. to put a bit in the mouth of (a horse).
7. to curb with or as if with a bit.
8. to grind a bit on (a key).Idioms:
1. chafe or champ at the bit, to become impatient and restless because of delay.
2. take the bit in or between one's teeth, to reject control; go one's own way.
[before 900; Middle English bite, Old English: action of biting; c. Old High German biz. See bite]
1. a small piece or quantity of something.
2. a short time: Wait a bit.
3. a stereotypic set of behaviors, attitudes, or actions associated with a particular role, situation, etc.: the whole Wall Street bit.
5. Informal. an amount equivalent to 12½ cents (used only in even multiples): two bits.Idioms:
1. a bit, somewhat; a little: a bit sleepy.
2. a bit much, somewhat overdone or beyond tolerability.
3. bit by bit, by degrees; gradually.
4. do one's bit, to contribute one's share to an effort.
5. every bit, quite; just: every bit as good.
6. quite a bit, a fairly large amount.
[before 1000; Middle English bite, Old English bita bit, morsel; c. Old High German bizzo, Old Norse biti. See bite]
a single, basic unit of computer information, valued at either 0 or 1 to signal binary alternatives.
pt. and a pp. of bite.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||drill bit - a bit used in drilling for oil |
bit - the cutting part of a drill; usually pointed and threaded and is replaceable in a brace or bitstock or drill press; "he looked around for the right size bit"
core bit - a hollow drilling bit that is the cutting part of a core drill; allows core samples to be taken
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.