United Nations(redirected from Dumbarton Oaks Conference)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
An international organization composed of most of the countries of the world. It was founded in 1945 to promote peace, security, and economic development.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (functioning as singular or plural)
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an international organization of independent states, with its headquarters in New York City, that was formed in 1945 to promote peace and international cooperation and security. Abbreviation: UN
2. (Historical Terms) (in World War II) a coalition of 26 nations that signed a joint declaration in Jan 1942, pledging their full resources to defeating the Axis powers
3. (Military) (in World War II) a coalition of 26 nations that signed a joint declaration in Jan 1942, pledging their full resources to defeating the Axis powers
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (used with a sing. v.) an international organization with headquarters in New York City, formed in 1945 to promote peace, security, and cooperation. Abbr.: UN, U.N.
2. (used with a pl. v.) the nations that signed a joint declaration in 1942, pledging to employ full resources against the Axis powers.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||United Nations - an organization of independent states formed in 1945 to promote international peace and security|
global organization, international organisation, international organization, world organisation, world organization - an international alliance involving many different countries
General Assembly - the supreme deliberative assembly of the United Nations
United Nations Secretariat - the administrative arm of the United Nations
Security Council, SC - a permanent council of the United Nations; responsible for preserving world peace
Trusteeship Council, TC - a permanent council of the United Nations that commissions a country (or countries) to undertake the administration of a territory
Economic and Social Council, ECOSOC - a permanent council of the United Nations; responsible for economic and social conditions
Economic and Social Council commission, ECOSOC commission - a commission of the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations
International Court of Justice, World Court - a court established to settle disputes between members of the United Nations
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
de Forenede Nationer
Egyesült Nemzetek Szervezete
Liên hợp quốc
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
United Nations→ الُأمـَمُ الـمُتَّحِدَة Spojené národy de Forenede Nationer Vereinte Nationen Ηνωμένα Έθνη Organización de las Naciones Unidas Yhdistyneet kansakunnat Nations Unies Ujedinjeni narodi Nazioni Unite 国際連合 국제연합 Verenigde Naties Forente Nasjoner Organizacja Narodów Zjednoczonych Nações Unidas Организация Объединенных Наций Förenta nationerna องค์การสหประชาชาติ Birleşmiş Milletler Liên hợp quốc 联合国
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009