Duma(redirected from Dumy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. The lower house of the Russian parliament.
2. A Russian national parliament during czarist times.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) (usually capital) the elective legislative assembly established by Tsar Nicholas II in 1905: overthrown by the Bolsheviks in 1917
2. (Historical Terms) (before 1917) any official assembly or council
3. (Historical Terms) short for State Duma, the lower chamber of the Russian parliament
[C20: from duma thought, of Germanic origin; related to Gothic dōms judgment]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -mas.
1. (in Russia before 1917) a council or official assembly.
2. (cap.) an elective legislative assembly, established in 1905 by Nicholas II.
[1865–70; < Russian, Old Russian dúma assembly, council (an early homonym with dúma thought)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The Russian elected legislative assembly unwillingly convened by Nicholas II in 1905 and finally overthrown in the 1917 Bolshevik revolution.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Duma - a legislative body in the ruling assembly of Russia and of some other republics in the former USSR|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.