Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Durham: Durham University
1. A city of northeast England south of Newcastle. It is noted for its cathedral and castle, built by the Normans in the 1100s.
2. A city of north-central North Carolina near Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Settled c. 1750, it is the seat of Duke University (founded 1838).
[After Durham, a county of northern England.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a former administrative county of NE England; became a unitary authority in 2009; on the North Sea: rises to the N Pennines in the west: the geographical and ceremonial county includes the unitary authorities of Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees (both part of Cleveland until 1996) and Darlington (created in 1997). Administrative centre: Durham. Pop (of Durham unitary authority): 494 200 (2003 est). Area (of Durham unitary authority): 2434 sq km (940 sq miles). Abbreviation: Dur.
2. (Placename) a city in NE England, administrative centre of Co Durham, on the River Wear: Norman cathedral; 11th-century castle (founded by William the Conqueror), now occupied by the University of Durham (1832). Pop: 42 939 (2001)
3. (Breeds) a rare variety of shorthorn cattle. See shorthorn
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Dur•ham(ˈdɜr əm, ˈdʌr-)
1. a county in NE England. 604,300; 940 sq. mi. (2435 sq. km).
2. a city in this county. 86,500.
3. a city in N North Carolina. 149,799.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Durham - a city of north central North Carolina; site of Duke University|
Duke University - a university in Durham, North Carolina
|2.||Durham - English breed of short-horned cattle|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.