dust jacket(redirected from Dust-cover)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A removable paper cover used to protect the binding of a book. Also called dust cover.
2. A cardboard sleeve in which a phonograph record is packaged.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a removable paper cover used to protect a bound book. Also called: book jacket or jacket
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a short coat, in any of various forms, usu. opening down the front.
2. a garmentlike article designed to be placed around the body for some use other than as clothing. Compare life jacket, straitjacket.
3. a protective outer covering.
4. the skin of a potato, esp. when it has been cooked.
5. a removable paper cover for protecting the binding of a book, usu. bearing the title and author's name.
6. an envelope, holder, or cover of cardboard or paper, as for a phonograph record or a document.
7. a metal casing, as the steel covering around the barrel of a gun or the core of a bullet.v.t.
8. to put a jacket on.
[1425–75; jaket < Middle French ja(c)quet=jaque(s) jacket, short, plain upper garment, probably after jacques peasant (see Jacquerie) + -et -et]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dust jacket - a paper jacket for a book; a jacket on which promotional information is usually printed|
jacket - an outer wrapping or casing; "phonograph records were sold in cardboard jackets"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.