Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A large, heavy pot or kettle, usually of cast iron and with a tight lid, used for slow cooking.
2. A metal utensil open on one side and equipped with shelves, placed before an open fire for baking or roasting food.
3. A wall oven in which food is baked by means of preheated brick walls.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Cookery) an iron or earthenware container with a cover used for stews, etc
2. (Cookery) a metal box, open in front, for cooking in front of an open fire
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a large heavy pot, as of cast iron, with a close-fitting lid, used for pot roasts, stews, etc.
2. a metal utensil, open in front, for roasting before an open fire.
3. a brick oven in which the walls are preheated for cooking.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
In the early part of the twentieth century, a straight-sided cast-iron cooking pot with a bail (to suspend over a fire if desired) and a tight-fitting flat lid. The lid had a raised edge so that if the oven were used for baking, coals could be heaped on it to make baking more uniform.
1001 Words and Phrases You Never Knew You Didn’t Know by W.R. Runyan Copyright © 2011 by W.R. Runyan
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Dutch oven - an oven consisting of a metal box for cooking in front of a fire|
oven - kitchen appliance used for baking or roasting
|2.||Dutch oven - iron or earthenware cooking pot; used for stews|
pot - metal or earthenware cooking vessel that is usually round and deep; often has a handle and lid
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.