easting(redirected from Eastings)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
1. The easterly component of the distance traveled between two positions.
2. Progress toward the east.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Nautical Terms) nautical the net distance eastwards made by a vessel moving towards the east
2. (Physical Geography) cartography
a. the distance eastwards of a point from a given meridian indicated by the first half of a map grid reference
b. a longitudinal grid line. Compare northing3
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the distance due east made good on any course tending eastward.
2. a shifting eastward.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Eastward (that is from left to right) reading of grid values on a map.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.