vestment(redirected from Ecclesiastical Vestments)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A garment, especially a robe or gown worn as an indication of office or state.
2. Ecclesiastical Any of the ritual robes worn by members of the clergy, acolytes, or other assistants at services or rites, especially a garment worn at the celebration of the Eucharist.
[Middle English vestement, from Old French vestment, from Latin vestīmentum, from vestīre, to clothe, from vestis, garment; see vest.]
vest·men′tal (-mĕn′tl) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a garment or robe, esp one denoting office, authority, or rank
2. (Clothing & Fashion) any of various ceremonial garments worn by the clergy at religious services
[C13: from Old French vestiment, from Latin vestīmentum clothing, from vestīre to clothe]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a garment, esp. an outer garment.
2. vestments, attire; clothing.
3. an official or ceremonial robe.
4. one of the garments worn by the clergy and their assistants, choristers, etc., during divine service and on other occasions.
[1250–1300; < Medieval Latin vestīmentum priestly robe, Latin: garment =vestī(re) to dress]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vestment - gown (especially ceremonial garments) worn by the clergy|
alb - a white linen liturgical vestment with sleeves; worn by priests
cassock - a black garment reaching down to the ankles; worn by priests or choristers
chasuble - a long sleeveless vestment worn by a priest when celebrating Mass
robe, gown - outerwear consisting of a long flowing garment used for official or ceremonial occasions
humeral veil, veil - a vestment worn by a priest at High Mass in the Roman Catholic Church; a silk shawl
orphrey - a richly embroidered edging on an ecclesiastical vestment
pallium - (Roman Catholic Church) vestment consisting of a band encircling the shoulders with two lappets hanging in front and back
pontifical - the vestments and other insignia of a pontiff (especially a bishop)
surplice - a loose-fitting white ecclesiastical vestment with wide sleeves
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995