caesura(redirected from Einschnitt)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
cae·su·raalso ce·su·ra (sĭ-zho͝or′ə, -zo͝or′ə)
n. pl. cae·su·ras or cae·su·rae (-zho͝or′ē, -zo͝or′ē) also ce·su·ras or ce·su·rae
1. A pause in a line of verse dictated by sense or natural speech rhythm rather than by metrics.
2. A pause or interruption, as in conversation: After another weighty caesura the senator resumed speaking.
3. In Latin and Greek prosody, a break in a line caused by the ending of a word within a foot, especially when this coincides with a sense division.
4. Music A pause or breathing at a point of rhythmic division in a melody.
[Latin caesūra, a cutting, from caesus, past participle of caedere, to cut off; see kaə-id- in Indo-European roots.]
cae·su′ral, cae·su′ric adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ras or -rae (-riː)
1. (Poetry) (in modern prosody) a pause, esp for sense, usually near the middle of a verse line. Usual symbol: ||
2. (Poetry) (in classical prosody) a break between words within a metrical foot, usually in the third or fourth foot of the line
[C16: from Latin, literally: a cutting, from caedere to cut]
caeˈsural, caeˈsuric adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or ce•su•ra(sɪˈʒʊər ə, -ˈzʊər ə, sɪzˈyʊər ə)
n., pl. cae•su•ras or ce•su•ras, cae•su•rae or ce•su•rae (sɪˈʒʊər i, -ˈzʊər i, sɪzˈyʊər i)
1. a break or pause in a line of verse, marked in scansion by a double vertical line.
2. any pause or interruption.
[1550–60; < Latin]
cae•su′ral, cae•su′ric, adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A pause in a line, usually for sense, but forming part of the metrical foot.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||caesura - a pause or interruption (as in a conversation); "after an ominous caesura the preacher continued"|
|2.||caesura - a break or pause (usually for sense) in the middle of a verse line|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
caesura[sɪˈzjʊərə] N (caesuras or caesurae (pl)) [sɪˈzjʊəriː] → cesura f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
caesura, (US) cesura
n → Zäsur f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007