electromagnetism(redirected from Electromagnitism)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The physics of electricity and magnetism.
2. An interaction between electricity and magnetism, as when an electric current or a changing electric field generates a magnetic field, or when a changing magnetic field generates an electric field.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) magnetism produced by an electric current
2. (General Physics) Also called: electromagnetics the branch of physics concerned with magnetism produced by electric currents and with the interaction of electric and magnetic fields
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
e•lec•tro•mag•net•ism(ɛˌlɛk troʊˈmæg nɪˌtɪz əm)
1. the phenomena associated with electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with each other and with electric charges and currents.
2. the science that studies these phenomena.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Magnetism produced by electric charge in motion. See Note at magnetism.
2. The scientific study of electricity and magnetism and the relationships between them.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The study of electric and magnetic fields and their interaction.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||electromagnetism - magnetism produced by an electric current; "electromagnetism was discovered when it was observed that a copper wire carrying an electric current can magnetize pieces of iron or steel near it"|
|2.||electromagnetism - the branch of physics concerned with electromagnetic phenomena|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
electromagnetism[ɪˌlektrəʊˈmægnɪtɪzəm] N → electromagnetismo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005