Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(Placename) a department of SW Greece, in the W Peloponnese: in ancient times most of the region formed the state of Elis. Pop: 183 521 (2001). Area: 2681 sq km (1035 sq miles). Modern Greek name: Ilía
(Biography) the pen name of (Charles) Lamb
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a young sheep.
2. the meat of a young sheep.
3. a person who is gentle or innocent.
4. a person who is easily outsmarted.
5. the Lamb, Christ.v.i.
6. to give birth to a lamb.
[before 900; Middle English, Old English, c. Old Saxon, Old High German, Old Norse, Gothic lamb]
1. Charles ( “Elia” ), 1775–1834, English essayist and critic.
2. Willis E(ugene), Jr., born 1913, U.S. physicist: Nobel prize 1955.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.