emir(redirected from Emirs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
e·mir(ĭ-mîr′, ā-mîr′) also a·mir (ə-mîr′, ā-mîr′)
A prince, chieftain, or governor, especially in the Middle East.
(in the Islamic world) nAlso spelt: amir
1. (Islam) an independent ruler or chieftain
2. (Islam) a military commander or governor
3. (Islam) a descendant of Mohammed
[C17: via French from Spanish emir, from Arabic `amīr commander]
1. a prince, commander, or head of state in some Islamic countries.
2. a title of honor of the descendants of Muhammad.
3. (cap.) the former title of the ruler of Afghanistan.
4. a title of certain Turkish officials.
[1615–25; < Arabic amīr commander]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||emir - an independent ruler or chieftain (especially in Africa or Arabia)|
Arabia, Arabian Peninsula - a peninsula between the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf; strategically important for its oil resources
Africa - the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean