Corinth(redirected from Ephyre)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Cor·inth(kôr′ĭnth, kŏr′-) also Kó·rin·thos (kô′rĭn-thôs′)
A city of southern Greece in the northeast Peloponnesus on the Gulf of Corinth. It is near the site of the ancient city of Corinth, which was founded in Homeric times and was a rich, influential maritime power in the seventh and sixth centuries bc.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a port in S Greece, in the NE Peloponnese: the modern town is near the site of the ancient city, the largest and richest of the city-states after Athens. Pop (municipality): 36 991 (2001). Modern Greek name: Kórinthos
2. (Historical Terms) a region of ancient Greece, occupying most of the Isthmus of Corinth and part of the NE Peloponnese
3. (Placename) Gulf of Corinth Gulf of Lepanto an inlet of the Ionian Sea between the Peloponnese and central Greece
4. (Placename) Isthmus of Corinth a narrow strip of land between the Gulf of Corinth and the Saronic Gulf: crossed by the Corinth Canal making navigation possible between the gulfs
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Cor•inth(ˈkɔr ɪnθ, ˈkɒr-)
1. an ancient city in Greece, on the Isthmus of Corinth.
2. a port in the NE Peloponnesus, in S Greece: NE of the site of ancient Corinth.
3. Gulf of. Also called Gulf of Lepanto. an arm of the Ionian Sea, N of the Peloponnesus.
4. Isthmus of, an isthmus at the head of the Gulf of Corinth, connecting the Peloponnesus with central Greece.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Corinth - the modern Greek port near the site of the ancient city that was second only to Athens|
Ellas, Greece, Hellenic Republic - a republic in southeastern Europe on the southern part of the Balkan peninsula; known for grapes and olives and olive oil
Corinthian - a resident of Corinth
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Corinth[ˈkɒrɪnθ] N → Corinto m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Korinth nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007