epiphany(redirected from Epiphany (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. e·piph·a·nies
1. Epiphany A Christian feast celebrating the manifestation of the divine nature of Jesus to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi, traditionally observed on January 6.
2. A revelatory manifestation of a divine being.
3. A sudden insight or intuitive understanding: "He had a painful epiphany about the absurdity of the job and quit" (Aleksandar Hemon).
[Middle English epiphanie, from Old French, from Late Latin epiphania, from Greek epiphaneia, manifestation, from epiphainesthai, to appear : epi-, forth; see epi- + phainein, phan-, to show; see bhā- in Indo-European roots.]
ep′i·phan′ic (ĕp′ə-făn′ĭk) adj.
n, pl -nies
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) the manifestation of a supernatural or divine reality
2. any moment of great or sudden revelation
[C17: via Church Latin from Greek epiphaneia an appearing, from epi- + phainein to show]
n, pl -nies
(Ecclesiastical Terms) a Christian festival held on Jan 6, commemorating, in the Western Church, the manifestation of Christ to the Magi and, in the Eastern Church, the baptism of Christ
e•piph•a•ny(ɪˈpɪf ə ni)
n., pl. -nies.
1. an appearance or manifestation, esp. of a deity.
2. (cap.) a Christian festival, observed on Jan. 6, commemorating the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles in the persons of the Magi; Twelfth Day.
3. a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into reality or the essential meaning of something, often initiated by some simple, commonplace occurrence.
4. a literary work or section of a work presenting such a moment of revelation and insight.
[1275–1325; Middle English < Late Latin epiphanīa < Late Greek epipháneia, Greek: apparition <epiphane-, s. of epiphanḗs appearing, manifest, derivative of epiphaínesthai to come into view, appear (epi- epi- + phaínesthai to appear) + -ia -y3]
ep•i•phan•ic (ˌɛp əˈfæn ɪk) e•piph′a•nous, adj.
the appearance to man, in visible form, of a god or other supernatural being.See also: Religion
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||epiphany - a divine manifestation |
manifestation - a clear appearance; "a manifestation of great emotion"
|2.||Epiphany - twelve days after Christmas; celebrates the visit of the three wise men to the infant Jesus|
Christian holy day - a religious holiday for Christians