bishop(redirected from Episcop)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to Episcop: Episcopalianism
1. A high-ranking Christian cleric, in modern churches usually in charge of a diocese and in some churches regarded as having received the highest ordination in unbroken succession from the apostles.
2. Abbr. B Games A usually miter-shaped chess piece that can move diagonally across any number of unoccupied spaces.
3. Mulled port spiced with oranges, sugar, and cloves.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) (in the Roman Catholic, Anglican, and Greek Orthodox Churches) a clergyman having spiritual and administrative powers over a diocese or province of the Church. See also suffragan
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) (in some Protestant Churches) a spiritual overseer of a local church or a number of churches
3. (Chess & Draughts) a chesspiece, capable of moving diagonally over any number of unoccupied squares of the same colour
4. (Brewing) mulled wine, usually port, spiced with oranges, cloves, etc
[Old English biscop, from Late Latin epīscopus, from Greek episkopos, from epi- + skopos watcher]
(Biography) Elizabeth. 1911–79, US poet, who lived in Brazil. Her poetry reflects her travelling experience, esp in the tropics
1. a person who supervises a number of local churches or a diocese, being in the Greek, Roman Catholic, Anglican, and other churches a member of the highest order of the ministry.
2. a spiritual supervisor, overseer, or the like.
3. one of two chess pieces of the same color that may be moved any unobstructed distance diagonally, one on white squares and the other on black.
4. a hot drink of port wine, oranges, and cloves.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English bisc(e) op < Vulgar Latin *ebiscopus, for Late Latin episcopus < Greek epískopos overseer]
Elizabeth, 1911–79, U.S. poet.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bishop - a senior member of the Christian clergy having spiritual and administrative authority; appointed in Christian churches to oversee priests or ministers; considered in some churches to be successors of the twelve Apostles of Christ|
Church of Rome, Roman Catholic Church, Roman Church, Western Church, Roman Catholic - the Christian Church based in the Vatican and presided over by a pope and an episcopal hierarchy
Eastern Church, Eastern Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox Church, Orthodox Catholic Church, Orthodox Church - derived from the Byzantine Church and adhering to Byzantine rites
Anglican Church, Anglican Communion, Church of England - the national church of England (and all other churches in other countries that share its beliefs); has its see in Canterbury and the sovereign as its temporal head
archbishop - a bishop of highest rank
cardinal - (Roman Catholic Church) one of a group of more than 100 prominent bishops in the Sacred College who advise the Pope and elect new Popes
diocesan - a bishop having jurisdiction over a diocese
eparch - a bishop or metropolitan in charge of an eparchy in the Eastern Church
exarch - a bishop in eastern Christendom who holds a place below a patriarch but above a metropolitan
exarch - a bishop in one of several Eastern Orthodox Churches in North America
priest - a clergyman in Christian churches who has the authority to perform or administer various religious rites; one of the Holy Orders
primus - the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church of Scotland
vicar apostolic - a titular Roman Catholic bishop in a non-Catholic area
|2.||bishop - port wine mulled with oranges and cloves|
mulled wine - wine heated with sugar and spices and often citrus fruit
|3.||bishop - (chess) a piece that can be moved diagonally over unoccupied squares of the same color|
chess game, chess - a board game for two players who move their 16 pieces according to specific rules; the object is to checkmate the opponent's king
1. a Christian clergyman in charge of a group of churches, usually in a large city or area. the Bishop of Lincoln; He was made a bishop two years ago. biskop أُسْقُف، مُطْران епископ bispo biskup der Bischof biskop επίσκοποςobispo piiskop اسقف piispa évêqueבישוף, הגמון धर्माध्यक्ष, बिशप biskup püspök uskup biskup vescovo 司教 주교 vyskupas bīskaps biskop bisschopbiskopbiskupbispo episcop епископ biskup škof episkop biskop ตำแหน่งบาทหลวงที่มีอำนาจปกครองบาทหลวงอื่น ๆ pispokos 主教 єпископ پادری giám mục 主教
2. one of the pieces in chess. biskop فيل (إحْدى قِطَع الشَّطْرَنْج) шахм. офицер bispo střelec der Läufer løber αξιωματικόςalfil oda فیل lähetti fouרץ शतरंज का एक मोहरा फील lovac u šahu futó gajah (buah catur) biskup alfiere ビショップ (체스) 비숍 rikis laidnis (šahā) gajah (dalam permainan catur) loperbiskopgoniecbispo nebun слон strelec tekač (šah) lovac löpare ตัวหมากรุกที่มีวิธีเดินทแยงมุม fil 圍棋上的主教棋子 слон شطرنج کا ایک مہرہ con Hậu (cờ) （国际象棋中的）象