epistolary(redirected from Epistolary novel)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or associated with letters or the writing of letters.
2. Being in the form of a letter: epistolary exchanges.
3. Carried on by or composed of letters: an epistolary friendship.
[From Latin epistolāris, from epistola, epistle; see epistle.]
epistolary(ɪˈpɪstələrɪ) or archaic
1. relating to, denoting, conducted by, or contained in letters
2. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) (of a novel or other work) constructed in the form of a series of letters
e•pis•to•lar•y(ɪˈpɪs tlˌɛr i)
1. contained in or carried on by letters: an epistolary friendship.
2. of, pertaining to, or consisting of letters.
3. written in the form of a series of letters: an epistolary novel.