era(redirected from Eras)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. earned run average
2. Equal Rights Amendment
1. A period of time as reckoned from a specific date serving as the basis of its chronological system.
2. A period of time characterized by particular circumstances, events, or personages: the Colonial era of US history; the Reagan era.
3. The longest division of geologic time, made up of one or more periods.
1. a period of time considered as being of a distinctive character; epoch
2. an extended period of time the years of which are numbered from a fixed point or event: the Christian era.
3. a point in time, esp one beginning a new or distinctive period: the discovery of antibiotics marked an era in modern medicine.
4. (Palaeontology) geology a major division of geological time, divided into several periods: the Mesozoic era.
[C17: from Latin aera counters, plural of aes brass, pieces of brass money]
n acronym for
1. (Education) (in Britain) Education Reform Act: the 1988 act which established the key elements of the National Curriculum
2. (Sociology) (in the US) Equal Rights Amendment: a proposed amendment to the US Constitution enshrining equality between the sexes
e•ra(ˈɪər ə, ˈɛr ə)
n., pl. e•ras.
1. a period of time marked by distinctive character, events, etc.
2. the period of time to which anything belongs or is to be assigned.
3. a system of chronologic notation reckoned from a given date.
4. a point of time from which succeeding years are numbered, as at the beginning of a system of chronology.
5. a date or an event forming the beginning of any distinctive period.
6. a major division of geologic time composed of a number of periods.
[1605–15; < Late Latin aera fixed date, era, probably identical with Latin aera counters, pl. of aes piece of metal, money]
1. Also, eraBaseball. earned run average.
2. Equal Rights Amendment.
A division of geologic time, longer than a period and shorter than an eon.
A time unit within an eon. An era contains at least two periods.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||era - a period marked by distinctive character or reckoned from a fixed point or event|
period, period of time, time period - an amount of time; "a time period of 30 years"; "hastened the period of time of his recovery"; "Picasso's blue period"
day - an era of existence or influence; "in the day of the dinosaurs"; "in the days of the Roman Empire"; "in the days of sailing ships"; "he was a successful pianist in his day"
historic period, age - an era of history having some distinctive feature; "we live in a litigious age"
modern era - the present or recent times
|2.||era - a major division of geological time; an era is usually divided into two or more periods|
geologic time, geological time - the time of the physical formation and development of the earth (especially prior to human history)
|3.||ERA - (baseball) a measure of a pitcher's effectiveness; calculated as the average number of earned runs allowed by the pitcher for every nine innings pitched|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"
sögulegt tímabilsögulegt tímabil, tímar
era[ˈɪərə] n → era
1. a number of years counting from an important point in history. the Victorian era. era عَصْر ера era epocha die Ära æra; epoke; tidsalder; periode εποχή, ιστορική περίοδος era aeg, ajajärk دوره؛ زمانه ajanjakso époqueתקופה युग, संवत कल्प era, doba kor(szak) zaman sögulegt tímabil era, epoca 時代 역사, 정치상의) 시대 era laikmets zaman tijdperktidsalder, epoke, æraera عصر، زمانه، دور، مهال، دتاريخ مبدا era epocă эпоха epocha vek razdoblje era ยุค çağ, devir 時代 ера; доба تقویم یا تسلسل زمانی جو کسی اہم واقعے سے شمار کیا جاتا ہے kỷ nguyên 时代
2. a period of time marked by an important event or events. an era of social reform. tydperk عَهْد، فَتْرَه епоха era éra die Ära periode; æra; epoke εποχήera ajajärk عصر؛ دوران aikakausi èreעידן किसी खास घटना से जुड़ा कोई काल doba éra masa sögulegt tímabil, tímar età 時代 중대한 시기 era ēra era tijdperktidsalder, epoke, æraera عصر، زمانه، دور era epocă эра; эпоха éra doba era tidsskede, tid ยุคสมัย dönem 時期 епоха کوئی زمانہ جس میں اہم واقعات پیش آئے ہوں thời đại 年代