etching(redirected from Etching (art))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The art of preparing etched plates, especially metal plates, from which designs and pictures are printed.
2. A design etched on a plate.
3. An impression made from an etched plate.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Crafts) the art, act, or process of preparing etched surfaces or of printing designs from them
2. (Crafts) an etched plate
3. (Crafts) an impression made from an etched plate
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the act or process of making designs on a metal plate, glass, etc., by the corrosive action of an acid.
2. an impression, as on paper, taken from an etched plate.
3. the design so produced.
4. a metal plate bearing such a design.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A process in which a special needle is used to draw a design on a metal plate overlaid with wax. The plate is then treated with acid, inked, and finally used to print reproductions of the design.
2. Developed in the sixteenth century, engraving on a waxcovered metal plate which is scratched with a needle to expose the surface then placed in acid, which cuts into the plate where scratched. Longer exposure to acid makes a darker print line.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||etching - an impression made from an etched plate|
aquatint - an etching made by a process that makes it resemble a water color
engraving - a print made from an engraving
|2.||etching - an etched plate made with the use of acid|
engraving - a block or plate or other hard surface that has been engraved
|3.||etching - making engraved or etched plates and printing designs from them|
printmaking - artistic design and manufacture of prints as woodcuts or silkscreens
steel engraving - the act of engraving on a steel plate
aquatint - a method of etching that imitates the broad washes of a water color
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun print, impression, carving, engraving, imprint, inscription There was an old etching of the Thames on the wall opposite the window.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
etching[ˈetʃɪŋ] N (= process) → grabado m al aguafuerte; (= print made from plate) → aguafuerte m or f
he invited her in to see his etchings (hum) → la invitó a entrar a ver su colección de sellos
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
(= picture) → Ätzung f; (in copper) → Kupferstich m; (in other metals) → Radierung f; come up and see my etchings (hum) → wollen Sie noch mit heraufkommen und sich (dat) → meine Briefmarkensammlung ansehen? (hum)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995