Malay(redirected from Euromalays)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A member of a people inhabiting the Malay Peninsula and parts of the western Malay Archipelago.
2. The Austronesian language of the Malays. Also called Bahasa Melayu.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Malays or their language.
2. Of or relating to Malaysia, the Malay Peninsula, or the Malay Archipelago.
[Obsolete Dutch Malayo, from Malay Melayu.]
Ma·lay′an (mə-lā′ən) adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of a people living chiefly in Malaysia and Indonesia who are descendants of Mongoloid immigrants
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Malayo-Polynesian family
3. (Peoples) of or relating to the Malays or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to the Malays or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ma•lay(ˈmeɪ leɪ, məˈleɪ)
1. a member of a people of Southeast Asia comprising the principal inhabitants of the Malay Peninsula, adjacent parts of E Sumatra, and the intervening islands and living in many coastal settlements on Borneo, Sumatra, and other islands of the Indonesian archipelago.
2. the Austronesian language of the Malays.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Malay - a member of a people inhabiting the northern Malay Peninsula and Malaysia and parts of the western Malay Archipelago|
East India, East Indies, Malay Archipelago - a group of islands in the Indian and Pacific Oceans between Asia and Australia
Malaya, Malaysia - a constitutional monarchy in southeastern Asia on Borneo and the Malay Peninsula; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1957
Malay Peninsula - a peninsula in southeastern Asia occupied by parts of Malaysia and Thailand and Myanmar
|2.||Malay - a western subfamily of Western Malayo-Polynesian languages|
Western Malayo-Polynesian - a western subfamily of Malayo-Polynesian languages
Bahasa Kebangsaan, Bahasa Malaysia, Bahasa Melayu, Malaysian - the Malay language spoken in Malaysia
|Adj.||1.||Malay - of or relating to or characteristic of the people or language of Malaysia and the northern Malay Peninsula and parts of the western Malay Archipelago; "Malay peoples"; "Malayan syllable structure"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
tiếng Mã laitiếng Mã-lai
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adj → malaiisch; the Malay Archipelago → der Malaiische Archipel; the Malay Peninsula → die Malaiische Halbinsel, die Halbinsel Malakka
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995